Whitland 3-4 Llangennech

Monday 17th November 2008

Llangennech made two changes for the trip to Whitland with Paul Thomas coming in after his hat-trick performance from the bench last time out and Daniel Evans making his first league start of the season at right back.

Team:  Martin Williams, Daniel Evans, Nathan Phillips, Emyr Williams, Ian Morgan, Tom Harris, Rhys Wakely, Dean Williams, Darren Dickeson, Curtis Roberts, Paul Thomas.

Sub:  Richard "Jack" Thomas.  Subs not used:  Simon Davies, Ian Williams.

Llangennech settled well early on and outplayed the hosts despite the lack of width provided by the pitch.  They found themselves ahead after 15 minutes through a fine strike by Curtis Roberts.

With such a narrow pitch, Llangennech used their own longish throw weapon in the shape of Darren Dickeson who threw the ball into the six yard box where fellow central midfielder Dean Williams was able to head the ball past the keeper and into the corner of the net.

With Llangennech seemingly in complete control, Whitland broke down our left hand side and were awarded a penalty when Martin Williams was adjudged to have brought down the forward, but with defenders covering was only shown the yellow card.  Williams was then sent the wrong way on the resultant spot kick.

Llan didn't take long to restore their two goal cushion however when Darren Dickeson spotted the keeper off his line and with an outrageous shot, hit the bar from about 40 yards out with the rebound falling to Paul Thomas who like all good goal scorers gambled on the follow up and this time was rewarded with a goal.

Llan could have made it 4-1 before the break when they won themselves a penalty, but the usual formality of seeing a Curtis Roberts spot kick hit the back of the net didn't occur this time as he went for power and blasted the ball over the bar.

After the break, Llan found things a lot more hard going and conceded to bring Whitland within one goal of a point about twenty minutes in.  Several Whitland players then began to lose their discipline with their centre back being sent off for two yellow cards.

Then with about 10 minutes left, we were awarded another penalty with Emyr Williams this time stepping up to score from the spot despite the keeper getting hands on it.

However Whitland immediatley went up the other end and clawed a goal back with an individual runner beating three defenders before having his shot blocked by keeper Martin Williams with the rebound falling straight to a Whitland player who headed the ball over the line.

Llan held on for the three points though from a game which was made much more difficult than it should have been with the pitch again not allowing Llangennech to play their best passing game.  Next week we have a tough away match at 6th placed Cross Hands.