U13's Win Cup Semi-Final In Extra Time Thriller

Saturday 9th April 2011

Llangennech played this semi final in Penyfan park against Wellfield with both sides unbeaten in their last 8 games.

The game started at a breathtaking pace with both teams fired up to take control of the game. The high standard of individual skill displayed on the pitch saw players showing instant control and quick crisp passing moves. Wellfield scored the first goal by Lewis Jones from a long free kick when his shot looped over goalkeeper Ieuan Thomas who didnt have a chance. Llangennech showed their resolve and came out battling, 2 minutes after conceding , Callum Dawe crossed the ball from a corner to find Fraser Dickson at the back post to head in the equaliser. Callum scored from a shot 2 minutes later for Llangennech to take the lead when his shot beat Wellfield keeper Sylveck on his back post. Both teams battled throughout in an even first half, Owain Thomas, Llangennechs right back pulling off the tackle of the game with a sliding tackle on one of Wellfields strikers who was in full flight , to come out with the ball and set Llangennech moving forward again. Wellfield striker Ethan Joel pounced on a pass between Llangennechs midfield and defence to have a run on goal which he finished well.

Half time score Llangennech 2 Wellfield 2

The second half saw Llangennech take the game to Wellfield, the Llangenech midfield created a number of chances for their strikers who used their pace to shot on the Wellfield goal only to be denied twice by the crossbar from shots by Callum Dawe and Brandon Fuge and the agility of Sylveck in the Wellfield goal. Jordan Badman on the Llangennech wing, used his pace and mazy running to turn the Wellfield defence a number of times to keep the wellfield defence on the back foot. The llangennech defence of Brandon Fuge,Aaron davies, Tim Thomas, Owain Thomas limited Wellfields attacks and with Ieuan Thomas in goals looked assured until the whistle went for the end of normal time.

End of normal time Llangennech 2 Wellfield 2

Extra time saw chances for both teams, Fraser Dickson showed the value of guarding the post from a free kick taken by Lewis Jones when his shot was heading to the top corner only to be turned away at the last minute. The Wellfield keeper was called into action on a number of occasions when Tom Roberts and Fraser Dickson beared down on him only to shot too close to the keeper and keep the game tied. Tom Roberts broke the deadlock with a well taken header from a Callum Dawe cross. As Wellfield pushed forward Tom Roberts returned the favour to Callum as he set him up with a low pass into the Wellfield box for Callum to tap the ball into the goal and allow the Llangennech players and supporters the chance to breathe again.

Final score Llangennech 4 Wellfield 2 

A game which showed the best of junior football. Both teams played quick skillful football throughout and every pass and tackle was made with purpose. Llangennech showed they can play great football and have the character to battle for the ball to control a game which they did in the second half. Wellfield should be given the utmost credit in this game and showed why they came into this game on the back of a 8 game unbeaten run.